"If you play more than two chords, you're showing off." Woody Guthrie

Friday, March 26, 2010

Music at Sunday's Immigration March

When I went to Washington DC this past Sunday, I went to support the cause of immigration reform. I wasn't expecting to see much that directly related to the music part of my research, but in fact I did. There was music everywhere, from a mariachi group to people singing and banging on plastic buckets. Here are some of the groups I encountered:

This group had a small marching band.



After I got tired of all the speakers' pontificating, I walked around and found this mariachi group singing and playing "Cielito Lindo." Everybody within shouting distance joined in. Then they called forth the dancers and performed "La Negra" another traditional folkloric tune.





These merengueros were playing a little perico ripiao in support of immigration reform.



These kids were marching and playing drums.



This guy was playing songs as people marched by.



A group sang Jose Alfredo Jimenez's "El Rey."



Here is a video taken by the Georgia Association of Elected Officials (GALEO) delegation of a drum group, Cakalak Thunder from Greensboro, North Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment